|Placement title:||Bug Patrol Volunteer|
|Department Contact:||Volunteer Coordinator|
|Volunteer Contact:||Coordinator of Bug Patrol|
|Length of Placement:||Minimum: Six 4-hour shifts over three months.
For “active” status: One 4-hour shift per month over 12 months.
- Welcome visitors and engage them in conversation about the bugs in the exhibit. Maintain the public’s trust in MPM.
- Interpret the exhibits and handle some of the live bugs so visitors can see them up close.
- Ask questions to encourage interactive responses and encourage visitors to properly touch or hold a live bug, while maintaining your responsibility in the bugs’ health.
- Record hours of service and schedule self for future shifts on Volgistics.
- Must be willing to learn about arthropods to accurately respond to visitor questions, learn about bug health, and how to properly handle insects—pick up, hold, pass to a visitor.
- Must be a registered MPM volunteer (at least 18 years old) and attend training for this position.
- Have the physical, cognitive and emotional skills to interact with the public, learn about MPM exhibits and policies, and impart accurate information shared in the bug training.
- Good communication skills, cheerful attitude and strong sense of accountability to MPM and its guests.
Hours and Availability / Minimum Commitment Required
- Bug Patrol is a seven-day-per-week opportunity.
- Active volunteers work four hours per session with a minimum of twelve sessions per year.
- Volunteers self-schedule and record hours on Volgistics internet service.
Training / Dress Code / Support
- TRAINING: Bug Patrol Coordinator will contact volunteer for training. This entails shadowing an experienced volunteer during a normal Bug Patrol session until confident to volunteer alone. Handouts provided.
- DRESS CODE: Business casual, a Bug Patrol T-shirt is provided.
- SUPPORT: The Bug Patrol Coordinator will train you, help with the calendar process, communicate with you regularly, and be your primary contact for this position.
- Benefits explained with the Volunteer MEMBER card. 40+ hours earns invitations to recognition events.
- Reduced parking at MacArthur Square -- $5 with Museum validation.
- Discounts in the café, coffee kiosk, and gift shop when wearing volunteer badge.
- Visitors have a better MPM visit because of you and learn more about our MPM Bug Exhibit.
- Volunteers honor their commitment and become proficient in using Volgistics to schedule shifts and record hours.
- Volunteers maintain communication with Bug Patrol Coordinator.