|Placement title:||Ask Me! Desk Volunteer|
|Department Contact:||Volunteer Coordinator|
|Volunteer Contact:||Coordinator of Ask Me! Desk|
|Length of Placement:||Minimum: six 4-hour shifts over three months.|
For “active” status: one 4-hour shift per month over 12 months
- Be a welcoming, smiling host/hostess for MPM visitors while staffing the Ask Me! Desk.
- Help visitors find their way around the Museum, thus maintaining the public’s trust in MPM.
- Positively respond to questions and concerns as received from visitors.
- Learn location and basic content of MPM permanent exhibits and traveling exhibits.
- Become familiar with the Ask Me! Desk resources, including the information-binder to locate information quickly.
- Know and follow MPM policies as outlined in Volunteer Handbook & Rules of Decorum.
- Schedule yourself on the Volgistics internet calendar and record your service hours on the internet.
- Must be a registered MPM volunteer and attend training for this position. Must be 18.
- Have a cheerful attitude and strong sense of accountability to MPM and its guests.
- Have the physical, cognitive and emotional skills to interact with the public, learn about MPM exhibits and policies, and impart accurate information.
- Good communication skills. Foreign language skills a plus.
Hours and Availability / Minimum Commitment Required
- Ask Me! Desk is a seven-day-per-week opportunity with the greatest need for volunteers Friday through Monday and on holidays.
- Active volunteers work four hours per session with a minimum of 12 sessions per year.
- Volunteers self-schedule and record hours on our internet service, Volgistics.
- Training: Ask Me! Coordinator will contact volunteer to schedule Ask Me! training. For each Traveling Exhibit there is an additional training session required.
- Dress Code: Business Casual (no jeans, sweatshirts, open-toe shoes, etc.; see Volunteer Handbook).
- Support: The Ask Me! Coordinator will be your primary contact and email you monthly reminders to sign-up for the coming month.
- Benefits explained with the Volunteer MEMBER card. 40+ hours earns invitations to recognition events.
- With MPM validation, parking at MacArthur Square is reduced to $5.
- When wearing your volunteer badge, get discounts in the café, coffee kiosk, and gift shop.
- Visitors are able to customize their visits based on Ask Me! volunteer’s recommendations.
- Visitors have a better MPM visit because of you and want to return.
- Volunteers honor their commitment and become proficient in using Volgistics to schedule shifts and record hours.
- Volunteers maintain communication with coordinator of Ask Me! Desk.