This spring, our most popular member event returns!
Date and Time
Thursday and Friday, April 28 and 29, 2022
6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Free members-only event; limited capacity
Sustainer-level+ members are allowed two guests not covered by your membership for free!
Reservations required; reserve online or call 414-278-6170.
Reserve Your Tickets
Speak with the staff, researchers, students, and volunteers that keep MPM thriving. Presentations include:
Thursday, April 28
- The Delightful Decoy – View rarely seen decoys from MPM’s collection and learn about the people who created them.
- “Show Some Leg”: Knitted Hosiery in Fashion and the Revealing of Status and Power – These clinging garments display shapely calves and nicely turned ankles revealing the wearer’s sense of fashion, wealth, and prestige.
- It’s Crystal Clear: Crystals are Keys to Nature – Learn about crystal symmetry as a key to understanding these natural wonders and the philosophical questions they pose about the entire cosmos!
- Preserving Your Past: Tips and Tricks for Protecting Family Treasures – Do you have any beloved family heirlooms that you’d like to preserve for the future? Bring your questions, queries, and conundrums about all things preservation.
Friday, April 29
- Backyard Bumblebees – Learn about bumblebees in your backyard and discuss ways to enhance their habitat.
- All Roads are Good: Moccasins Across North America – See a variety of Indigenous footwear from across the continent, and discover how these diverse items came to be known under one name.
- Thanks, it’s got pockets! – Did you know that animals other than kangaroos have pouches? Come learn about some other members of the animal kingdom who, unlike most dresses, have pockets and pouches!
- Curating by Numbers – See inside the pages of the History collection’s ledger books, learn how to spot catalog numbers on objects, and try doing some curatorial detective work of your own!
- Excavating the Collections: The Ceramic Collection from the El Qitar Site in Syria – See highlights from current research being conducted on collections excavated by MPM in the mid-1970s from Syria that are more than 3,500 years old!
- Dark Side of the Dome – Tour what goes on beyond our huge 73-foot hemisphere!
- Behind the Scenes: What in the World…? – Test your knowledge of global artifacts from the Anthropology department collections storerooms.